I got Macbook Air M1 this month. So I set it up for personal project development. This is my current setup.
Because I like to start from clean, so I remove the previous installation:
- Prepare Monterey USB Bootable with
InstallAssistant.pkgand follow this instruction.
- Erase Volume Group because the new macOS created System Volume and Data Volume separately.
- Need to connect to the internet to activate the device.
- Install the macOS and follow the instruction on the screen.
- Log in to iCloud account.
- Disable “Ask Siri”.
First Thing After Install
Change default macOS setting:
- Uncheck all checkbox
- New Finder windows show: “Home” directory
- Show Home Icon
- Uncheck Tags
- Show all filename extensions
- Show warning before changing an extension
- Show warning before removing from iCloud Drive
- Show warning before emptying the Trash
- Remove items from the Trash after 30 days
- Keep folders on top:
- In windows when sorting by name
- On Desktop
- When performing a search: Search the Current Folder
- Trackpad natural off
- Trackpad tap to click
- Look up & data detectors off
- Pointer Control -> Enable dragging: three finger drag
- Remap “caps lock” to “esc”
F1-12keys as standard function keys
- Turn Keyboard backlight off after 10 secs
- Turn off spotlight shortcut, replace it with Raycast
- Enable key repeat for all app
defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false
- Key Repeat: fast
- Delay until repeat: short
- Appearance: Dark
- Show scroll bars: Always
- Default web browser: Google Chrome
- Remove all Icon exept Finder, Calendar, App Store, System Preferences, Downloads, and Trash
Install Chrome, set it as default, and log in to the main account so all my extensions are synced.
- Signin to github and add new ssh key.
- Do this before anything else
- Make coffee or tea, it took a while if your internet connection is slow
- Install Brew
- Update Git
brew install git
Start with CLI
- Install common cli apps
brew install htop tree tmux git-extras git-delta bat ripgrep aria2 jq
- Install hugo extended for building this blog.
- Somehow it showing error:
hugo can’t be opened because Apple cannot check for malicious software
- The solution:
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine <path-to-hugo>
- Somehow it showing error:
- Install zsh dependencies:
brew install fzf fasd zsh-autosuggestions
- Setup dotfiles with chezmoi from my repo. It is private for now I’ll make it public later.
- Install Oh My ZSH
- Install kitty because it easier to setup the color theme. 😄
brew install --cask kitty
Setup Code Editor
brew tap homebrew/cask-fonts # You only need to do this once! brew install font-iosevka font-fira-code font-hack-nerd-font
Install Neovim, because it has
brew install lua-language-server # for sumneko_lua brew install neovim
- Login to Github for syncing extensions
- Setup Dendron, pull the vault from github.
Setup Obsidian and sync the vault.
brew install --cask obsidian
Install Supporting Application
brew install --cask raycast # I was using alfred before it nice alternative and set cmd+space as shortcut brew install --cask spotify # Listen music brew install --cask mongodb-compass # Sometimes it is useful brew install --cask toggl-track # Track worktime brew install --cask postman # HTTP client, a lot of another alternative, but it is easier for syncing multiple devices brew install --cask sublime-merge # GUI for git diff and commit history brew install --cask brave-browser # Alternative to Chrome brew install --cask firefox # Another alternative to Chrome brew install --cask libreoffice # For editing big CSV files brew install --cask private-internet-access # VPN for security when connecting to public wifi brew install --cask dropbox # I have a lot of space because of referral :D brew install --cask telegram # Telegram for macOS brew install --cask whatsapp # Another chat app brew install --cask zoom # Another meeting tools :D
I have a subscription to SetApp (referral link), these are some useful apps I commonly use:
- Install it first
brew install --cask setapp
- iStat Menus
- restart the mac if the status bar color does not change or if black in dark mode
- ChronoSync Express
- CleanShot X
- CleanMyMac X
- Install fnm, they say it faster than
- Install global package
npm i -g commitizen cz-conventional-changelog nodemon typescript tsx serve prettier npm-check-updates
- Install global package for Neovim
npm i -g neovim @fsouza/prettierd eslint_d vscode-langservers-extracted
- Download XCode with aria2 because they said it is 16 times faster.
- Install Android Studio
- Setup Flutter
This article was inspired by swyx - My 2022 New Mac Setup